I have a theory about the human brain.
I think it basically has a finite capacity, a bit like a laptop hard drive. And when your mental hard drive is full, what’s left either gets punted to an external drive (phone, diary) or is simply discarded.
In my case, a lot of stuff gets discarded.
At the moment my head is stuffed with a new website that’s almost ready to launch, an awards ceremony, a conference, a major new event, two websites that both have lots of clients, and members, and contributors – all of whom seem to need me to do things on a daily basis. And let’s not forget the small matter of a lively seven-year-old, a missing cat, parents, family, friends, and a crumbling Victorian house to take care of.
Reality is, there simply isn’t enough room in my head for all of this stuff.
In the last week, things I have forgotten include:
- Brushing my hair after breakfast. With the result that someone pointed out (at 8pm) that I still had Rice Krispies in my hair.
- Lunch with some blogging friends. I managed to entirely double-book myself and missed a lunch I flippin’ organised.
- A coffee meeting with a potential client – remembered only because the client texted me 10 minutes before it started to cancel. Phew.
- EVERY time I go to the bathroom, I think, “Must call the plumber about that dripping tap.” By the time I get to the foot of the stairs, the thought has entirely vanished.
- I use Skyscanner to track flight prices and TOTALLY intended to book a flight when I got a price alert last month. Forgot – and the ticket price has since gone up by £300 a seat. Bugger.
Online diaries are all well and good, but they don’t tend to work for me – because I forget to look at them. I know. Ironic, isn’t it?
Win a Mum’s Office Diary
Because I’m such a scatterbrain, I was pleased to be offered the chance to try out a new diary designed specifically for families – yes, it does say “Mum’s Diary” on the (removable) packaging but last time I checked, most men were able to pick up pens and manipulate them to form letters, so I’m confident this is actually a unisex product.
The Big Family Diary is a school-year diary with one week to a page – plus a handy facing page where you can add in other people’s schedules – ideal for me, as I can add in Flea’s activities, work activities, and things I need to remember for when she’s visiting her Dad, for example.
There’s a handy phone directory and monthly planner so you can important dates at a glance – ideal for someone like me who tends to forget dentist appointments until the last minute and then finds themselves madly trying to reschedule them because I’m fully booked up. There’s a nifty elasticated holder for a pen (because you can NEVER find one when you need one) and a bookmark.
Fancy getting your mitts on a diary? I have TWO large Big Family School Year Diaries worth £16.95 each to give away to two of my readers. The diaries run from August 2013 to August 2014 and come in a rather fetching raspberry or peppermint colour, with a silver embossed date on the front cover.
If you’d like to win a diary, simply comment on this post and tell me what’s the last thing you forgot?
This giveaway is now closed.