Sick of looking for plus size wetsuits for women?
If you’ve got curves, wear above a size 16, or maybe you’re just blessed in the chest or butt area, I bet you’ve wondered where are all the decent plus sized shortie and full length wetsuits?
It drives me crazy. If I want to do yoga, or go for a run, there are plenty of comfortable, attractive clothes I could wear. But if I want to go surfing, or paddle boarding or diving? It’s not so easy. I can get half my bottom half into a size 16/18 wetsuit, but my boobs are not going to be co-operating with that project.
Almost every woman who wears a size 16+ will know the fear of doing any activity where you need to borrow a wetsuit. Will they have a wetsuit in my size? Will I be able to fasten the wetsuit they give me? What if it doesn’t do up? If it does, will I be able to move? Or breathe?
Why aren’t Wetsuits more Inclusive?
It’s not easy to buy plus size wetsuits for women.
Many of the major retailers ONLY sell women’s suits up to a size 16, or 18. Given that 50% of women in the UK are a size 16 or above, it’s beyond ridiculous that so many women aren’t being catered for. TWF, O’Neill, Two Bare Feet? Where are your plus size wetsuits for women?
Lots of bigger women end up wearing men’s wetsuits which can work… but it can mean that shorter, curvy women end up in a XL men’s suit designed for someone who is six feet tall. You’ll almost always end up rolling up the arms and legs, making the suit uncomfortable at best, and letting in gallons of water if you’re unlucky.
What we need are suits that are designed for curvy women, shorter women, women with big boobs, women with longer bodies – just a wider rage of wetsuits for ANY body. I hate the idea that any woman is made to feel abnormal and ashamed because she’s wearing a particular clothes size that is not deemed worthy of being accommodated.
Guide to Buying a Plus Size Wetsuit
- First, don’t panic. There are plus size wetsuits for women in the UK that will fit you, and you’ll look great to boot. You just need to know where to look! Check out my list of retailers below – please note that some of the below links are affiliates, meaning I’ll make a small commission if you make a purchase via this site.
- Don’t worry about height when looking at size guides. You can buy a bigger suit for a taller person and just cut the arms and legs to the required length. I guarantee you that your wetsuit won’t mind a bit. Neoprene doesn’t fray, and you can cut it with regular scissors.
- If you’re short and curvy, consider a shorty wetsuit with appropriate boots as an alternative to a full wetsuit. It will be easier to put on, and much more flexible.
- You’d think front zips make it easier to take a suit on and off. Friends, you would be wrong. Trying to push a tight suit backwards over your shoulder is virtually impossible if you’re a bigger person.
- Wetsuit measurements refer to the suit and not you. A 3mm wetsuit might stretch 4-5 inches, a 5mm wetsuit up more like 1-2 inches. Swimming wetsuits are more flexible than surf suits, but aren’t as durable. Check size charts and materials, and choose a suit that will stretch to fit you, to ensure the right, snug fit.
- Just because a suit fastens doesn’t mean it fits. It’s normal for a wetsuit to feel tight but if you feel your breathing is at all restricted, then the suit is too tight and you’re not going to be able to move effectively in the water.
- Don’t forget if you’re paddling or swimming in the UK, you will need to think about keeping warm. We like these affordable neoprene gloves (available in a range of sizes) and these boots, that are great for watersports.
Where to Buy Plus Size Wetsuits for Women
Today, I’m sharing some of the best places I’ve come across that sell plus sized wetsuits for women in the UK. Some of these retailers offer wetsuits in sizes up to a UK size 30 or US size 34, while others offer custom-made suits to your specific measurements.
I’ve tried to include products for all budgets. Prices will vary, and suits that are custom-made or thicker will cost more, of course. But I hope that if you’re hunting for a plus sized wetsuit for women, this list will help you out!
Mountain Warehouse – Quality wetsuits, up to size 24/26
- Sells: A full range of full and shorty suits in various colours
- Sizes: From size 6 to size 24/26 in womens’ suits, but these sell out quickly
- Good to know: If you see a bigger suit in stock, my advice is to snap it up!
Previously Mountain Warehouse sizes topped out at a size 20 – I have a wetsuit from these guys and it’s a great fit, really comfortable and recommended, even thought my chest is at the upper recommended size for this suit, it’s got decent stretch without cutting off your airway.
This year the company has increased its sizing and is offering a (UK) size 24/26 wetsuit at £99 for a full suit and £59 for a shortie suit. There are lots of prints and colours, which is fabulous to see – you can see the full range here. Stock gets replenished every month or two – so do keep checking back.
Lomo – UK wetsuits now available up to Size 32
If you’re looking for a UK wetsuit in plus sizing, there’s GREAT news from Lomo – the company recently launched extended sizing, with THREE new wetsuits that are medium height but in A, B or C widths that are equivalent to UK womens sizes 14-18, 18-24 and 26-30. They’re designed for women 5′ 7″ or less which means no more rolling up or chopping off sleeves!
There’s a 5mm wetsuit at a very, very affordable £69, and a swimming/triathlon wetsuit that is a little more expensive at £115, and this is available up to a size 32. It’s so, so incredible to finally see a UK retailer offering these sizes. If you buy one, please tell me how it works out! Swimming wetsuits really are best for swimming – they are thinner and more fragile than regular suits and prone to tearing and holes because they’re not designed for kneeling on paddleboards or sitting in kayaks.
Truuli – Colourful wetsuits up to size 32
- Sells: A range of colourful sleeveless wetsuits, shortie wetsuits and full wetsuits
- Sizes: 21 different sizes designed to cater for all women of all shapes and sizes
- Good to know: There is a Facebook group where women can pass on pre-loved Truuli suits
Truuli is a wetsuit company set up specifically to offer beautiful plus sized wetsuits for curvy women who want to get in the water feeling confident and comfortable. These suits are made in Canada, and are available in a range of bright colours and modern designs, in a wide range of sizes up to a UK size 28.
Thanks to a successful crowdfunding campaign, the company literally JUST restocked (July 2021), and you can find gorgeous suits in various designs and colours and sizes from 14 to 30 for around $250.
The sizing at Truuli is unusual, because sizes are name rather than number based. Who wouldn’t want to order a wetsuit in the size “Courage” or “Fearless” rather than a boring old 20 or 24? The company recommends you email your height, bra size, hip and waist measurements and weight to them before ordering and they will recommend the best size for you. I absolutely LOVE this because it means there’s almost no risk of buying a suit that won’t accommodate your boobs or hips.
Diving Direct – Unisex Suits up to 3XL
- Sells: A range of colourful sleeveless wetsuits, shortie wetsuits and full wetsuits
- Sizes: Up to mens 3XL and women’s 2XL, so suitable up to around a UK size 24/26
- Good to know: There are different suits for diving, snorkelling and swimming
While many of the high street brands don’t cater to size 18+ women, some of the scuba diving and open water swimming sites DO offer more extended ranges. This site has a range of men and women’s suits, at around £200 and up.
This premium full wetsuit is great for diving and available up to a 2XL, which equates to around a size 24. These are thick suits for cold/deep water, and are designed for diving. It’s also available in a men’s version up to a 3XL. Diving Direct also stocks the brand SEAC, which offers women’s wetsuits up to a size 22, while the men’s suits should fit women up to a size 24/26. Don’t forget you can easily buy a wetsuit from the mens range and shorten the arms and legs if needed.
Blueseventy – Swimming wetsuits up to XL
- Sells: Blueseventy specialises in swimming/triathlon wetsuits
- Sizes: The XL is pretty generous, and should fit a size 20/22
- Good to know: Blueseventy wetsuits are known for offering more stretch than other brands
The Blueseventy website is a bit expensive, but there are some cheaper options. This Glide shorty wetsuit is available in an XL, which based on measurements should easily fit a size 20/22. It’s currently in stock and retailing at £139.99. It’s a ‘lady jane’ style meaning it has no sleeves, making it a) a lot easier to put on, and b) much more suitable for swimming and paddling, where you need to be able to move your arms.
If you’re looking for a full wetsuit, you can also pick up a full blueseventy suit at £199 from Wiggle, with sizes up to XL (which says it will fit people up to 235lb, or around 17 stones).
Dive Inn – Affordable option from Spain
- Sells: A wide range of suits for diving, snorkelling and open water swimming
- Sizes: Up to a 2XL in many women’s suits and a 3XL in many men’s styles.
- Good to know: Buy a men’s suit and cut it down
Dive Inn is part of a Spanish group of websites offering everything you might ever need for any sort of water activity.
The diving site offers a decent range of wetsuits in a broad range of sizes including plus sized women’s wetsuits. The women’s SEAC wetsuit goes up to 2XL (about a size 18/20) while the men’s range goes up to 4XL (26/28) in many styles. Right now there’s a 4XL shortie wetsuit on the site for under £50 – bargain!
Wetsuit Wearhouse – US Custom and Plus Sized Suits
- Sells: Plus size wetsuits and a good range of accessories
- Sizes: The women’s plus size section is small, and mostly up to 2XL (UK size 20-22)
- Good to know: Buy a men’s suit and cut it down
This retailer has a dedicated section for both men and women’s plus sized wetsuits, including brands like Roxy and Henderson’s. Be warned: it’s not a BIG section. Try this sleeveless Jane style suit for $160 in 2XL (20), or In the men’s section, suits go up to a 5XL (26). This men’s shorty wetsuit is $160 and is available in 3XL and 5XL. You pay a $20 surcharge for some larger sizes, and full wetsuits here start at around $150.
Feeling flush? Wetsuit Wearhouse will also custom make a wetsuit to your own measurements.
HEVTO – Affordable suits from the USA
- Sells: affordable 3mm wetsuits ideal for holiday/hobby use
- Sizes: Up to a XXXLT1 (up to 250lb)
- Good to know: These ship from the US but the wetsuits only cost around £50, so worth considering!
This is a new brand to me, but Hevto offers men and women’s 3mm wetsuits in sizes up to XXXL including a XXXLT (tall) and XXXLS (short) model. Looking at measurements, this is close to a UK size 28/30, which is one of the most inclusive wetsuit brands I’ve seen.
These items can ship to the UK, but you’ll need to buy from Amazon.com. It’s worth checking the comprehensive size guide which lists height, weight and body measurements to help you select from a huge range of sizes. Reviews are mostly good, so definitely worth a look!
Osprey Wetsuits – Under £50, Available up to XXXL
- Sells: OSX has a year-round range of wetsuits with many available under £50
- Sizes: A full range, from kids up to 3XL
- Good to know: One of a few UK retailers with larger stock still available!
Osprey has a full range of wetsuits in different sizes (up to 3XL in men’s which is a 45″ chest, or around a 20/22). This shorty wetsuit is 3mm and available in XL, 2XL and 3XL. It’s probably best suited for summer, but is an absolute bargain at £39.99. Alternatively, there’s a 5mm full wetsuit at £59.99 – also a bargain, and looks to be available currently up to a 3XL.
Sainsburys Wetsuits – not currently available
- Sells: Cheap and cheerful wetsuits, perfect for holiday wear
- Sizes: The standard range goes to a 16/18 but if Banana Bite is in stock, up to a UK 26
- Good to know: These are sized on the smaller side, so size up if you can
This range of Sainsbury’s plus size wetsuits is currently out of stock. I’m including it in case the fact it sold out in a hot minute and lots of people are still looking at the page persuades Sainsbury’s to restock plus size wetsuits for women up to a size 26. Are you listening Sainsbury’s? Worth noting: I bought a size 18/20 and it was a pretty tight squeeze on my chest, so I feel like these are sized on the smaller side.
Where to Hire Wetsuits for size 16+ Women
They specialise in wetsuits for open water swimming – this is important because as a bigger person you will naturally be more buoyant than smaller people and you really don’t need a buoyant surf wetsuit making your life even harder. Send the company your measurements and weight, and they will find a wetsuit to fit you. This is perfect if you want to try a wetsuit before committing to buying one outright. It’s also a great way to get a wetsuit for a short, specific reason like a holiday or a weekend away.
Buying Plus Size Wetsuits on Amazon : 10+ Stores to Try
There are quite a few plus size wetsuits for women on Amazon, but it’s important to know what you’re looking for and CHECK the sizing chart for each specific brand. In some brands an XXL might be a size 14, or it might be a 20. You need to do your research.
Here are some Amazon sellers who have plus sized wetsuits for women in stock right now (Summer 2021):
Layatone: This Chinese wetsuit brand provides a range of wetsuits in shortie and full styles that go up to an impressive 6XL (around a women’s 24-26) and cost around £50-£60. Check out the suits here.
TWF: This range of plus size wetsuits is widely sold in retailers UK-wide and they’re decent quality and very affordable. They’re currently for sale on Amazon for around £44 in sizes up to 22.
Cressi This wetsuit brand has a reputation for making wetsuits that are good for women with bigger chest measurements. The Cressi Playa range costs £79, and is available in sizes up to a 3XL, or size 7 in wetsuit numbers. What does this mean? Well, a 3XL should fit someone up to around 18 stones, with a 45-inch chest. Find one here. Or here. If you need larger, there is currently a men’s 3XL shortie wetsuit available, which fits up to a 48-inch chest
ZCCO: These shortie wetsuits are billed as men’s suits but given the short arms and legs they’re effectively unisex. Available in 1mm and 3mm thicknesses, they’re SUPER stretchy, ideal for summer AND are available in sizes up to a 4XL (around a 22-24). Find one for under £40 here. Full suit available here.
CiC: This wetsuit brand has an XXL in the men’s style, which is suitable for up to a 48 inch chest – that’s around a women’s size 22-24. They’re currently in stock here.
UNCLE: THis brand is currently offering a plus size wetsuit shorty style for both men and women up to a size 3XL.
Typhoon: The Typhoon Storm is another shortie suit for summer days – this time available in a UK Size 20 and 22. Find out more here.
Micosuza: This brand is new to me but they offer a 1.5mm full wetsuit that gives you coverage without too much weight. The sizing suggests that an XXL will fit up to about a 42 inch chest (size 20), and might be worth a look, with a bargain £40 price tag and some decent reviews on Amazon.
Still stuck? Try a Mix and Match Wetsuit
If, like me, you are different sizes on the top and bottom half then wetsuits are a nightmare to buy. I have to buy plus size to accommodate my chest, but it does mean suits are often looser on my bottom half.
Next time I’m wetsuit shopping, I’d love to try one of these neoprene shorts and jacket sets, from Two Bare Feet, that allow you to buy – GASP – different size top and bottom wetsuit. The ONLY downside of this is that the men’s jackets only go up to a 2XL, or 38 inch chest, so wouldn’t be ideal for women who are bigger than that on top.
This mens’ wetsuit from LayaTone is available in a mens XXL, which is a 40-inch chest – around a UK size
Mike’s Dive Store does a range of wetsuits from various brands that go up to a size 20/22 for women, and a 4XL for men. Helpfully, the company offers mix and match shorts and tops, so you could get the relevant size for each item. As an added bonus there is a 30-day guarantee so you can send back something that doesn’t fit AND you can request a phone or video consultation before you buy, to ensure you get the right sizing. Last reason to check out their site – they have an amazing fit simulator. Just pop in all your measurements online, and it will recommend suits and sizes to fit.
If none of these 20+ plus size wetsuits for women suit, then there a few other brands that you might want to check out, that offer broader sizing (although not as broad as those above). You might need to find a local dive shop that acts as a dealer for these brands, or you may pick up items on eBay or Amazon:
- Scubapro – Offers a 2XL short and 2XL wetsuit in various styles
- Fourth Element – Offers a Size 20 in both tall and short lengths, plus long/short styles
- Sharkskin – Offers up to a size 22/4XL in certain styles